The big push to the reconstruction that characterized the years immediately after the war and the desire to restore the country’s infrastructure destroyed gave new impetus to urban transport.
In 1945, the City Council established a new society for the management of services, the ATAF, which is dedicated to the restoration and reconstruction of the facilities.
From 1950 to 1954 it provides to improve and extend the urban network and start the gradual modernization of vehicles beginning the gradual replacement of rail vehicles to those of rubber.
In 1983, the operating length of the network is of 723 km out of which 276 urban and suburban 447, the overall lines are 61 and the number of employees 524 vehicles.
In 1985 it was planned to build two metro lines of surface along two main lines totaling 25 km: Bagno a Ripoli – Sesto Fiorentino and Scandicci – Careggi. We are still waiting to be completed.